1. Good evening. You have been selected for a quick survey on the
West Virginia budget situation. Thank you for your time.
First, are you registered as a Republican or a Democrat?
Press 1 for Republican 35%
Press 2 for Democrat 51%
Press 3 in Independent or something else 14%
2. Do you approve or disapprove of the job the Republicans are doing
in the state legislature?
Press 1 if strongly approve 18% 40% approve
Press 2 if somewhat approve 22%
Press 3 if somewhat disapprove 15% 48% disapprove
Press 4 if strongly disapprove 33%
Press 5 if undecided 12%
3. West Virginia is facing a $270 million dollar shortfall in the state
Currently, there is a proposal that raises the tobacco tax, uses a 15% of
the rainy day fund and cuts state agency spending to balance the
Do you favor or oppose this proposal?
Press 1 If you favor this proposal 46%
Press 2 if you oppose this proposal 31%
Press 3 if you are undecided 23%
4. Specifically, do you favor or oppose an increase in the cigarette tax
to help balance the state budget?
Press 1 if you favor a cigarette tax increase 69% (skip to question 6)
Press 2 if you oppose a cigarette tax increase 25% (go to question 5 )
Press 3 if undecided 6% (go to question 5)
5. If there is no cigarette tax then the budget must be balanced from
taking 20% from the rainy day fund, which Governor Tomblin said he
Would you favor or oppose using 20% of the states rainy day fund to
avoid any increase in the tobacco tax?
Press 1 if you favor using 20% of rainy day fund to prevent a tobacco
tax increase 55%
Press 2 if you oppose using 20% rainy day fund more to prevent a
tobacco tax increase 33%
Press 3 if undecided 13%
6. Lastly, are you male or female?
Press 1 if male 47%
Press 2 if female 53%
West Virginia Statewide Survey
Conducted May 22, 2016
700 Sample MOE 3.7%